Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October Foodie Penpal Reveal Day

Happy Halloween Everyone!

I have a special post for this special day. Today is my October Foodie Penpal Reveal!

But, before I get into the details of that... let's briefly talk Halloween.

We've lived in our home 3 years now, each year Hubby and I decorate the house and buy all the chocolate only to have 1-2 kids show up at the door. This has resulted in us eating enough candy to feed 100.... all in one sitting. I am very happy that this year we have decided not to hand out candies. Hurrah! Now, I don't have to deal with the waist-line after effects. :)

Today we are having a bake sale and costume contest at work. I've decided to make some healthy treats which I'll blog about later (Pumpkin Cheesecake Swirls, yum!). Having a bake sale gives me so much more control when it comes to eating sweets and I'm looking forward to it!

The most stressful part of office Halloween parties is finding a costume that is work appropriate. All lady costumes seem to have that sex-appeal? So, I've decided on this classic costume:


Like?
 
Rosie the Riveter is such a classic symbol.  I am proud to be donning her apparel today and representing women in the workforce.

Now let's talk about the Foodie Penpal program, the point of my post today! To sum it up; you are matched with two other foodies each month. You send a foodie package to one by the 15th of the month, and you receive a package from another person of the same value. It's that easy! This was my first month participating.

I had the pleasure of being paired up with Nicole at Live.Eat.Smile.Repeat. She has such a cute blog with so many inspiring recipes. I was drooling upon reading it! I sent her some local goodies from our local farmers market. Nicole, I hope you enjoyed them!

I received my package from another Canadian, Shanna. She is a blog reader with a love for all things local. She sent me this great package:

 


It included:

Package of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans - Hubby and I ate these in one sitting at our kitchen table as we smiled like kiddies and tried to figure out what flavours they were.

Flax Seeds - I will totally put these to use in my cooking and smoothies. Full seeds such as these should be ground before consumption to get the full health benefits.

Nougat Bar - This was so good! It was the perfect snack after coming home from a busy day at the office.

Caramels - Delicious!

Honey Wafer- Hubby and I shared this after our Jelly Beans. We love sweets!

Mints - Which are now at my desk at work.

Maple Jelly - This is hands down my favourite item in the package. I served this on homemade whole wheat pancakes on the weekend. It has the texture of grape jelly, but the a light maple flavour without the sugar high. So yum!

Now, don’t you wanna join in the fun?! Here are the Foodie Penpals details:

  • On the 5th of every month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
  • You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
  • The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
  • You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
  • Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
  • Foodie Penpals is open to US & Canadian residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa.

Click the logo below for more information regarding signing up for this FUN program!

The Lean Green Bean


I hope everyone has a fun and safe Halloween today!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...