Monday, October 8, 2012

I am Thankful for....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you are all enjoying your time with loved ones and thinking about what you are truly thankful for.

Yesterday marked my last "longer run" of marathon training. The past 16 weeks have been tough; I've been through many ups and downs and faced many challenges. With the past 3 weeks being the most challenging yet, I was anticipating this run to be a battle.

A few weeks ago I reached that point in my training where my body just didn't want to partake in any more running activities. I had a couple of horrible runs that left me in tears mid-way through. Thankfully I am surrounded by plenty of positive and encouraging running friends. When out for a long run with Joanna, she encouraged me the whole way telling me I wasn't a failure and that I was a good runner. I didn't believe her at the time, but I really channelled her and her positivity yesterday.

Since it was a few weeks since I had a good run, I was nervous going into it. It was my last chance before the marathon to prove to myself that I could do it. To prove that I am a long distance runner. Running a marathon is 90% mental attitude and that has been the hardest thing yet. I beat myself up mentally and it drains you. I knew that if I didn't have a good last long run that going into the marathon I wouldn't have confidence in myself to run the whole 42.2 km's.

I had 23 km on the agenda and set off around noon for my run. I was pumping myself up by listening to some upbeat music while getting ready. I pulled out my favourite running gear that included my pink CEP compression socks and then I laced up my Mizuno's. Feeling spiffy, I had to take some self portraits before the run. I then went to the Running Room to start my run from there and had a very inspiring chat with the Assistant Manager Jenn before heading out.




The first 5 km breezed by; it was a beautiful day (8 degrees and sunny) and it was my first time wearing a long sleeve shirt since starting training. I was so comfortable and cool the whole way through. Around 10 km in I really started to think about what I was thankful for. I determined that was my goal throughout the run, to be able to dig deep and really think about it.

14 km - I was smiling and realized I was so thankful for a healthy body that was allowing me to run that day. I almost teared up at this point.

17 km - I am so friggin' thankful marathon training is almost done. Only 13 more days to go. Wow.. I am really going to do this.

20 km - I am so thankful for my husband. He has always been so supportive, especially with my running journey. Last week he even offered to roller blade 32 km alongside me because he knew I'd been having a real hard time with my runs. THAT is love.

21 km - I'm thankful for taking all of the adversities that have been present during my life and learning from them. I wouldn't be whom I am today if I didn't go through everything that I have.

Before I knew it my run was done. I gave Jenn a big thumbs up when I got back to the store and she gave it right back to me as well. I was speechless. At that point I realized that I am ready for my marathon. I can do this. When times get rough you really need to think about what you are truly thankful for. It's what kept me going.

After my run I had to quickly get home and get ready for Thanksgiving with my family. At that point I was thankful I burned off 2000 calories earlier in the day and I got to enjoy my dinner guilt free. This dinner also marked the first time my immediate family had shared Thanksgiving together in over 10 years. I honestly could not remember the last time. I was so thankful for spending that quality time with them.

I don't think I have ever been so thankful for so many things in one day. I can tell you it is good for the soul.

I now need to get some housework done, and make my Thanksgiving dinner for two. I might even get out for a nice hike with the pugs and hubby to enjoy the colors of the season.

I hope you all enjoy your last day of the long weekend. What are you thankful for?



4 comments :

  1. Congratulations on all the hard work! Happy thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. :)

      Delete
  2. That was a lovely sentiment Krysta. I know that I've felt the same way during my runs too but I think that it's all part of the journey. You're an awesome example to all of us. I have come to the realization that I will never be fast & that it's going to take me a good 5 hrs or more to finish the marathon but I do plan on completing it!! From you I see the pure joy of running!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val. I'm so proud of both of us, this training has been a life changing experience.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...